CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 26, 2007

A Sad Goodbye

The world lost a wonderful lady yesterday - my mom's Aunt Emiline, 87, died at her home.

I've never handled death very well. The first person I knew that died was my grandma, who was my best friend my entire childhood. I truly feel that I lost a big part of me when she died, and still cannot think about her without crying - even 14 years after the fact. My grandma was someone that I would call - every single day - after school and talk to for hours. Literally. When I was learning to read, I would read to her. When I joined the 5th grade band and was learning to play the flute, I would play the flute over the phone. It wasn't until years after her death that I learned the really funny side of her, such as when I was playing said flute over the phone, she would put the phone down and go get some coffee, run to the restroom, etc. This was 1989 - cordless phones were a luxury then.

Aunt Emiline is the strongest tie to my grandma (aside from my mother, of course) that was left. She was unable to come to our wedding due to health reasons, but we were all more than delighted to see her at my Grandpa's birthday party this past May. I knew immediately who she was, for there was such a striking resemblance to my grandma. I felt a little honored when her and my mom were talking and mom asked her if she could see how much I look like my grandma. I cried. Heck - I'm crying now.

The saddest part of this, aside from losing this great lady, is the hell her husband is going through. Three weeks ago, Clyde and Emiline's daughter Sally died. I cannot even imagine losing a daughter and a wife in a matter of three weeks. I can't imagine losing them at all - let alone so close to one another.

Sally is buried next to my grandma, and Aunt Emiline will be right next to Sally.

My condolences go out to everyone that knew and loved Emiline. She will surely be missed.

* The picture above is (from left to right) - Uncle Clyde, my grandpa, and Aunt Emiline. It was taken at my grandpa's 90th birthday party two months ago. *

4 comments:

Farrah said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I can't imagine losing two relatives in such a short period of time!

I miss my grandma too! She was my only grandparent that was alive during my lifetime. She passed away last year, but she had Alzheimer's for about the last 10 years of her life, so it's like she's been gone much longer. I loved to play card games with her, like War or 21, and drink ginger ale in my special glass. We'd go shopping at Woolworth's and she'd give me a buck or two to spend. I can still hear her sing Crazy by Patsy Cline. I was her only granddaughter, and I think she was always disappointed I didn't like ruffles more :o) I keep one of her old watches on my dresser so I can remember her when I'm getting dressed.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about your aunt.

Erin said...

Awww, how sad. :( I'm sorry. And poor uncle Clyde. I can't fathom losing a child and my spouse so close together - or at all, actually!

My grandma lost her husband of 25 years and her son within six months of one another back in 1997. I still think she's the strongest woman I know.

Life sure is sad sometimes. :(

Krista said...

Oh, sigh. I'm sorry. :(

I love the story about your grandma and the flute. I have great memories with my grandparents, too. :)

Memories are great. At least we can hold on to those.