CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 30, 2007

Movie Follow-Up

I can't believe I am saying this, but I wish I would have gone to see Sicko.

I don't know why I do this to myself. I LOVE the Harry Potter books. There is no question about that. I am not, in the least bit, however, interested in sci-fi. I don't know if my imagine is so out of control that when I'm reading about the spells they place on one another that I don't look at it as sci-fi or what, but when I watch the movie, it's most definitely sci-fi. And I tend to lose interest.

It is a lot of fun for me to see the story on a screen, though. When I read, I vividly picture what is happening in my head. I always pictured the room that Dumbledore's Army meets in as this bright, plain white room. I know, that doesn't fit at all with the scene at Hogwarts, but this is a SECRET ROOM. It needed to be different than the others. Well, it was pretty magnificent in the movie, but completely like the other rooms. That was interesting yet disappointing.

There were two big issues I faced during my trip to the movies. First of all, I'm not a fan of the theater in Whitefish Bay. It's not a normal movie theater. There aren't the traditional movie theater seats. They are round, cushy seats in rows of 11, and every row has this counter-top like thing that you can eat at. A waitress comes around and takes your order. The Sprite came in a big, real, plastic glass - not a paper cup. I like the big traditional seats. I like that if the theater is dead I can prop my feet up on the back of the seat in front of me. And that I have to go to a stand to order my junk food. Or, better yet, I'm able to eat the candy I snuck in - which I didn't feel gutsy enough to do with a waitress walking around.

Secondly, the group sitting next to me needs a swift kick in the ass. Seriously. There were two adult women (probably mid-50s or so), a boy around 14 and a girl around 15 (I'm really bad with ages - they were teenagers, but not 13). They talked the entire time. I wish I could say it was just the kids, but the adults were just as noisy! Not only that, but had I not finished book 7 already, I would have drop-kicked them when they gave away basically the entire plot. I actually loudly shushed them, which is incredibly bold for me. The mom shot me a look and they were quiet for, oh, 30 seconds.

I'm sure the idiots next to me had something to do with me not enjoying my movie experience. I think, to make up for it, I'm going to a bigger theatre this Friday to see Sicko. It's my last free Friday in August, and dammit, I'm going to enjoy a movie by myself before I start my fall classes.

6 comments:

Farrah said...

I have no words.

Anonymous said...

Sorry you had a crappy time :(
Books are always so much better than movies!

Christi said...

Ugh that sucks. I hate going to movies when people are just loudly talking throughout the entire thing! If you feel the need to discuss the on-screen happenings, rent the DVD and watch it in the privacy of your own living room.

Man people annoy me sometimes =)

Sara said...

See, Christi. That's the thing. I almost would have forgiven them had they actually been talking about the movie. They weren't - they were talking about book 6.

It still pisses me off when I think about it. Stupid idiots.

Anonymous said...

I was really disappointed in this movie too.

And I hate that theater as well. We had to go see HP there too. It is too distracting to have servers coming over every 5 minutes to ask if I need anything.

Erin said...

I'll third that - I really don't like that theater.

You should have gone to see Waitress! :)