CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

For those who think I am MIA...

...This is why: CGS PhD Study

This is a great project to be involved in, seeing as how Marquette was one of 29 schools in the country to get funding for it. That's a big deal. I, the lowly graduate assistant in the Graduate School office, have been crunching numbers like never before to submit correct data to the good folks at the CGS.

What does this entail, you may ask? Well, first, I was given a spreadsheet with more information than you would ever want/need to know about every single incoming doctoral student at Marquette since 1992. Over 1300 of them. Then I got to look up, one by one, each student to verify that all information was correct - start/finish dates, whether they started or left after receiving their master's, whether they quit for no reason, if they reached candidacy, etc. Once that was verified, I got to interpret it and put it into reports - ton of reports - so our data could be compared to nation-wide data.

Fun? No. Interesting? Absolutely. Not to mention it'll look awesome on my resume when I'm looking for a job (in Ohio) next May.

So - hang in there while I try to finish this, then I might have time to get back to my normal email and phone call routine. You never know with me, though, do you?

2 comments:

Farrah said...

I worked at MATC for a while, and I did research for a guy who wrote a lot of grants. It was interesting work!

Anonymous said...

That will look great on your resume!

It definitely does NOT sound fun though.