CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 28, 2007

Follow-Up to the Diet Situation

Okay, I know. I need to work out more.

Any tips?

Here's my problem. I live in the upper half of a tw-family home. The lady downstairs (the owner) has asked that I not work out due to the noise anytime other than 7 a.m. - 9 p.m. Understandable.

The problem? Well, starting to exercise at 7 a.m. would give me about 15 minutes to work out, tops, and Tuesday-Thursday I get home after 8:00, sometimes later. So I exercise Monday, Friday and on the weekend?

I've been thinking of joining a gym. Yes, there's a rec center at my school. It's small, it's a total meat market where skinny little 18 year-olds go to walk on the treadmill or ride the bikes while reading gossip magazines and flirting with guys. It annoys me. Not to mention I don't feel comfortable walking in that area (over the freeway) at night by myself.

LA Fitness is very, very close to me. It's only $35/month. It's open late. They have free classes. I just don't have that $150 enrollment fee right now or the additional month payment that needs to be made the day you join. Otherwise, I'd do it. It's worth it. But, it's not feasible right now. I'm a grad assistant. I make next to nothing.

Tips? I really would like to work out more. It's cold out (and gets dark earlier), so biking is pretty much out for the season. I miss doing my Firm video, but it's noisy. I can do pilates after the given hours, but that doesn't get any cardio in.

See? I truly am at a loss. It's not completely that I'm lazy, though I'm sure that's a contributing factor.

Oh - and one more thing. I get home at 8, but I have a full-time course load at school - so I have hours and hours of homework ALL THE TIME. I have to do well in my classes - I would just rather do well and not be so chubby while doing it.

P.S. I got up 15 minutes early this morning and made scrambled eggs for breakfast. I usually have 2 brown sugar/cinnamon poptarts. I'm very proud of myself.

13 comments:

Farrah said...

Snap Fitness is opening in Shorewood (Capital & Wilson). They're open 24 hours and have no contracts. Their website says they're affordable, but they don't give the rates. I know this doesn't help you right now since they're not open yet.

Farrah said...

Okay, I found the rates (for the Hales Corners location). If you join when the club first opens, the joining fee is $25. Then it's $30 a month. Plus, you can transfer your membership. So when you do move back to Ohio, you could transfer your membership.

sierra said...

Would a rowing machine be too loud? You can check on craigslist for one. I love our rowing machine. It's a great workout--cardio and strength. Yeah, and it kicks my butt.

Where on Capital and Wilson is there room for a fitness center?

Farrah said...

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just relaying what I saw on their website. I don't even know where that is :o) These places are tiny though.

I looked at some of the other locations, and their monthly rates vary from $30 - $40 a month. Since it's a franchise, I'm assuming they set their own rates.

I love rowing machines, but Bally's doesn't have them anymore :o(

sierra said...

No, it's just that the area is tight. I'm curious to see what happens.

If they're building it new though, I think it could be a while--I've not noticed any new construction.

Farrah said...

They're usually in a strip mall. Is there a strip mall there?

Tracey said...

What about over the lunch hour? Do you have free weights? Get some at target and do arm weights at night when you get home. Walks? can you walk over lunch? At night? I know it's cold but walking is great for activity. Also, are your weekends free? Really try to get in long workouts on the weekends. 1-2 hours. Get on treadmill or whatever you can use - watch TV/football on sat?

I think I'm dying. said...

I hear there are two gyms on campus. One is a total meat market, and the other is much more tolerable. I can't remember the name (hey, I'm lazy too), I just know it's the one that isn't the Rec Plex. You can also use the Limo service on campus to pick you up and drop you off instead of walking. (obviously they can't take you all the way home, but they could take you to your car/bus stop/whatever)

I think I'm dying. said...

http://gomarquette.cstv.com/facilities/helfaer.html

Sara said...

Sierra - I, too, am curious where they could be putting something on Capitol/Wilson. Interesting.

Tracy - I wish I had time on Saturdays and Sundays. I do indeed watch a TON of college football, but it's also while I'm either on the laptop doing research or my reading assignments or my papers or even working from home. There just aren't enough hours in the week right now.

Sara - L! Helfaer SUCKS. The machines are awful, the hours are sucky, the whole place just sucks.

I think I'm going to break down and get the gym membership.

Officially accepting donations for my enrollment fee :)

Anonymous said...

I was a member of Snap Fitness earlier this year. It's good - serves its purpose. But they are pretty damn small. I live in a small town, so it didn't get too busy, but I can't imagine how it'd be if it got super busy.

I ditto everything Tracey said. Walking is great exercise, and this weather is beautiful right now.

I have faith in you.

Farrah said...

I wonder if any clubs get super busy anymore outside of peak before/after work times? The Milwaukee market is saturated with multiple locations of the Y, the WAC, Bally's, Cardinal, Snap, Curves, and also LA Fitness, Princeton Club, Southridge Athletic Club, etc.

sierra said...

There is also the Shorewood Community Center, which (I hear) is obscenely inexpensive for residents.