CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Day in the Life of an Academic Adviser

Welcome to academic advising hell, aka New Student Orientation. Oy.

This week is our first week of orientation. Thankfully, after this week there isn't another one until May, and I won't be here :) But seriously, this is my schedule. Every.Single.Day (and was every single day last year from May-August, also). My hours are usually 8-5, also, but since we have to work Wednesday and our hours were cut, we literally come in, do this schedule, and leave. Then do it again the next day.

9:00 am - start workday
9:00 - 9:15 am - prep for 9:15 appointment
9:15 - 10:05 am - advising appointment
10:05 - 10:15 am - walk student to next program, do case notes, prep for 10:15 appointment
10:15 - 11:05 am - advising appointment
11:05 - 11:15 am - walk student to next program, do case notes, prep for 11:15 appointment
11:15 - 12:05 pm - advising appointment
12:05 - 12:15 pm - walk student to next program, do case notes, prep for 12:15 appointment
12:15 - 1:15 pm - lunch and prep for 1:15 appointment
1:15 - 2:05 pm - advising appointment
2:05 - 2:15 pm - walk student to next program, do case notes, prep for 2:15 appointment
2:15 - 3:05 pm - advising appointment
3:05 - 3:15 pm - walk student to next program, do case notes, prep for 3:15 appointment
3:15 - 4:05 pm - advising appointment
4:05 - 4:15 pm - walk student to next program, do case notes, wrap things up for the day
4:30 pm - go home

Now honestly, this is exhausting not pregnant. It's tough to find a time to go to the bathroom, get a drink of water, etc. But these days, I literally have to pee after every single appointment, and I'm re-filling my huge water cup after almost every appointment, also. And I tend to keep meticulous notes (I know - surprise, surprise), so I'm typically getting zero break.

And with that, the 1:15 group is here, so back to work!

No comments: