It started out with Friday night, when Nate and I decided to go out for some drinks since we hadn't in awhile. We met a very friendly couple who continued to buy us drinks and the night quickly became a flashback to college. I quickly remembered why I don't drink like that anymore. A highlight of the evening was getting into an argument with a 55+ year-old lady that used to be a cheerleader for the U of Michigan. Ick.
Saturday was a day we had planned a long time ago. Nate and I went to Cedarburg (about 20 miles north of where we live) to meet up with 4 or 5 of his co-workers and their significant others. We had a bike ride to Port Washington (about 12.5 miles away) planned, followed by a cookout. Now, up until this day I was really proud of how I'd been doing so well on my bicycle. Before buying this bike, the last time I rode was when I was 10 years old or so.
My comfort level on the bike has increased to being able to ride downtown and back on the bike path with no problem That's approximately 13 miles or so. I was happy with that. Heck, I was VERY happy with that. I was, to say the least, not prepared for the 25-mile adventure I had agreed to.
On the way to Port Washington, I thought I was going to die. That's right, on the way there. I hadn't eaten that morning, I wasn't feeling so hot from the previous night, I had done my strenuous Firm video the day before, I was really hurting. We stopped for about a minute and another rider gave me their extra bottle of Propel water and an energy bar and we were on our way. I seriously thought I was either going to throw up or faint - either of which I wasn't looking forward to!
In the end, I successfully made it through the entire bike ride. I have no idea how. My legs felt like they were on fire. At one point I was going through my mind all the things I'd done in my life more painful than that: gymnastics conditioning - less painful. Run to Florida in junior high - less painful. I seriously couldn't come up with anything, and still today, 2 days later, can't.
Nate was encouraging me the whole way with occassional "Come on, Sara - you can do it." By the time we reached the final mile (which, by the way, was entirely uphill), my reply to his encouragement was, "I hate you - I'm never doing this again." I will, of course, but after some training :)
When he told me we only had .3 miles to go, I took off. I was so happy with the accomplishment I had just reached, and I couldn't believe I was still sitting on that bike. I don't ever remember being that proud of myself. I was still beaming about it the next day, and rightfully so.
On Sunday it was time for rest and relaxation. Much-needed! In the evening we went to the last of 17 bike races in the area. It was the finale of the International Cycling Speedweek. What an awesome event! Below are some pictures from the race in Shorewood a couple weeks ago. I swear, every single lap I heard Nate say, "This is so awesome."
This week will be spent getting ready for Nate's parents to come visit. I'm really looking forward to it. Up until now we have only had 2 visitors (both came the same weekend), and it's fun to show people back home how we live now. It'll be especially nice for a parent to see it, I think. I can't wait for my family to come up here some day, I think they'll really like it.
The following weekend is my wedding shower, then I'm home in Ohio for approximately 10 days for wedding stuff - dress fittings, getting our marriage license, visiting with family, etc. I'm looking forward to that nice break before school starts.
In addition to the bike race, photos below include the Milwaukee Art Museum from one of my rides downtown, as well as some other downtown shots. Enjoy!
2 comments:
Awesome Sara - Love this - Keep it up!!!
Love,
Tara
Next time you pull a preparatory stunt like that you'll be riding alone.
Kindest regards,
Nate
Post a Comment